Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Reflection: 7 Ways to Reward the Brain

I was first introduced to the idea of games and positive psychology while attending a keynote address by Jane McGonigal at ISTE 2013. It was here, for the first time, that I began giving serious thought to video and computer games as something valuable to society. Though I have never antagonized video gameplay, I hadn't seriously contemplated their greater value until listening to Jane.

Tom Chatfield shares very similar research-based ideas in his TED talk as I heard Jane share at ISTE. That our bodies, minds, and emotions react so positively to a well-designed game structure is promising for those who are willing to acknowledge this and capitalize on such opportunities to enhance their individual pursuits.

As a teacher, I now see a lot of value in incorporating principles of gaming into my learning space, instructional delivery, and student motivation. Rather than forcing students to adhere to a contrived schedule or set of rules in order to "pass" a class, drawing on principles of gameplay (such as XP and badges) seems to be a more natural and engaging way to motivate students to pursue learning. Additionally, it seems to present a more authentic and rewarding approach to facilitating learning for the teacher.

While I am still only a casual gamer, I now see the value that computer/video games have to offer not only us in our pursuit of entertainment, but the world in terms of solving real problems.

1 comment:

  1. Jane is fabulous. There would be opportunities to mull over her work more during our experience.

    ReplyDelete